Version 2.0.14 was released on Sep 21, 2018 (release notes).
Loom is an efficient file format for large omics datasets. Loom files contain a main matrix, optional additional layers, a variable number of row and column annotations, and sparse graph objects. Under the hood, Loom files are HDF5 and can be opened from many programming languages, including Python, R, C, C++, Java, MATLAB, Mathematica, and Julia.
- Single file that can be moved around
- Metadata travels with the main data
- Data, clustering, layout, annotation stored together
- Efficient random access
- Automatic, on-the-fly compression
- Out-of-memory data processing
- Open source, BSD license